Posts

If  Wisconsin’s law mandating carbon monoxide detectors had taken effect Jan. 1, instead of Feb, 1, maybe an 88-year-old man and his dog would be alive today.

This week Stanley Neckuty of Auburn, Wis., was found in his home Monday by one of his family members. When police also found the body of Neckuty’s dog, they suspected carbon monoxide was the cause of the fatalities.  

http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20110127/FON0101/101270422/Man-dies-from-carbon-monoxide-poisoning

Authorities  looked around the elderly man’s house, and in its basement found an old furnace that they believe was slowly leaking carbon monoxide, slowly poisoning Neckuty.

The tragedy of the elderly’s man’s death is that next Tuesday, Feb. 1, a Wisconsin law goes into effect that requires carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in each level of one-family and two-family homes, including their basements. If that law had been effective earlier, maybe Neckuty would hve put in the CO detectors and lived, along with his pet.

The Green Bay Gazette wrote an editorial urging Wisconsin residents to comply with the law and install the carbon monoxide detectors, to prevent deaths from this silent and odorless killer.   

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110127/GPG0602/101270610/Editorial-Law-not-only-reason-to-install-carbon-monoxide-detector

Wisconsin hotels and apartment managers are scrambling to comply with a new state law that requires them to install carbon monoxide detectors.

The law goes into effect in several months, but hoteliers and others are still trying to interpret it and figure out how many detectors they need to install in order to be in compliance, according to a story posted online, http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=11866990, by WBAY-TV In Green Bay, Wis., Friday.

The law applies to apartment buildings, hotels and bed and breakfasts. Under the legislation, carbon monoxide detectors must be installed within 15 feet of a bedroom if there is a fuel-burning device, like a fireplace, in the building.

But hoteliers are unclear on that part of the law, and whether it mandates that detectors also have to be placed within 15 feet of the actual appliance.

According to the WBAY story, the Green Bay Fire Department will do the inspections to be sure hoteliers and apartment owners are in compliance with the new law.

Local fire officials pointed out that carbon monoxide poisoning is the No. 1 cause of accidental poisoning in the world, and that about 170 people die each year in the United States from carbon monoxide poisoning.