Posts

The family of a young Marine who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in his girlfriend’s apartment in Meridian, Idaho, has filed a lawsuit over his death, according to KTVB-TV.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Lawsuit-filed-on-behalf-of-Marine-who-died-at-Meridian-apartment-complex-196166001.html

McQuen Forbush, 18, died in November of the lethal gas, which leaked from a water heater at the apartment complex.

Now his family is suing a number of defendants — including the owners of the Sagecrest apartment complex, First Rate Property Management, Parkcenter Plumbing and the water heater’s maker — for wrongful death, negligence and personal injury, KTVB reported.

The lawsuit alleges that Sagecrest knew there was a dangerous problem with its water heaters but didn’t address the issue, according to KTVB.

After this weekend’s snow storm, the governor of Connecticut warned residents to be careful about unblocking vents on their houses and properly venting generators to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Too bad the governor of Massachusetts didn’t issue similar advisories.

Two people in that state,  including an 11-year-old boy, died of carbon monoxide when snow covered and blocked their cars’ exhaust pipes, according to AOL. And two other victims had to be hospitalized for CO poisoning.

http://weather.aol.com/2013/02/09/boston-boy-11-dies-of-carbon-monoxide-in-running-car/?ncid=webmail3

Imagine the horror of a father in Boston’s Dorchester section when his son died this weekend, died after the dad put the boy in a running car to warm him up. The father and son had been shoveling snow together, but the kid got cold. The dad turned on his car and had the lad get in it, AOL reported.

But apparently a snow plow then came down the street and packed snow in the car’s tailpipe, stopping the lethal carbon monoxide from escaping. It instead backed up into the car, poisoning the boy.

AOL said that just a few hours later, a man was discovered dead in a car with its engine running in Mattapan. Once again, the vehicle’s tailpipe was blocked by snow.

And in the third incident, two children aged 5 and 8, were sent to the hospital Saturday night when their father put them in a running car  as he was busy shoveling snow in East Boston, according to AOL.

Two women died of carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday after a leak of the lethal gas in their West Rogers Park apartment building in Chicago, according NBC. Authorities are blaming too few CO detectors for the tragedy.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/2-Dead-After-Apparent-Carbon-Monoxide-Leak–188648511.html#ixzz2JIm3zI6i

The victims were Rasheeda Akhter, 77, and Zanib Ahmed, 18.

Firefighters responded to West North Shore Avenue at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday to discover Akhter in cardiac arrest and Ahmed having seizures, NBC reported. The two were taken to Swedish Covenant Hospital.

The first responders checked out the building, because they suspected there was a carbon monoxide leak, but they could not find it, according to NBC.

Firefighters left but five hours later they were called back to the building. They found Khurshid Begum, whose family owns the apartment building, unresponsive at the site.

Responders detected high levels of carbon monoxide and contacted the gas company. As it turned out, residents of the building had been getting headaches – a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning – when they were in the laundry room in the basement.

They would then open a window in the basement, and officials told NBC that this window being opened may have made it impossible for the building’s one CO detector to get an accurate reading.

Officials suspect the source of the gas was an old boiler, according to NBC.

Akhter and Ahmed died, but Begum survived. Five children were also hospitalized.

Chicago mandates that carbon monoxide detectors be placed no more than 15 feet away from each bedroom or sleeping area in a residence, according to NBC.

 

Three painters died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in a Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., home Friday, according to The Press-Enterprise.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/breaking-news-headlines/20120317-rancho-cucamonga-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-possible-in-painters-deaths.ece

The three victims had been doing work, painting, for the owner of a home located on Autumn Leaf Drive, the newspaper quoted from a sheriff’s department press release.

The homeowner found the bodies of the three men when he returned to his house on Friday. They were pronounced dead at the scene, The Press-Enterprise reported.

The bodies did not display any injuries, and authorities suspect that the trio died of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Autopsies will be performed on the bodies next week.

The victims were Francisco Corado, 27, Oscar Aguirre, 44, and Jahiron Aaron Mejia-Morales, 24. Corado and Aguirre were residents of Cathedral City. There was no address given for Mejia-Morales.