Posts

The U.S. Army is being sued for $124 million by the families of five people who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a trailer at the Clarksville Speedway in Tennessee, according to The Tennessean.

 http://www.theleafchronicle.com/viewart/20130501/NEWS01/305010019/

The victims had rented their trailer from an Army RV rental business on Sept. 16, 2011. The next night, the group operated a generator outside of the trailer in order to run an air conditioner. Their bodies were discovered the next morning, The Tennessean reported.

The  lawsuit charges that Gear-to-Go, the Army business, was negligent by failing to put new batteries in the trailer’s carbon monoxide detector, according to the newspaper.

The five victims were members of Bikers Who Care, a charity that aids needy children. They are themselves survived by 13 kids. They were at the speedway to watch the 30th annual Leslie W. Watson Memorial Toy Run.

The Tennessean reported that the deceased were: Timothy Bryan Stone, 39; James Franklin Wall II, 38, and his girlfriend Allison Bagwell-Wyatt, 32; Jonathan Michael Over, 27, and his wife Kathryn Over, 27.

 

 

The family of a young Marine who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in his girlfriend’s apartment in Meridian, Idaho, has filed a lawsuit over his death, according to KTVB-TV.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Lawsuit-filed-on-behalf-of-Marine-who-died-at-Meridian-apartment-complex-196166001.html

McQuen Forbush, 18, died in November of the lethal gas, which leaked from a water heater at the apartment complex.

Now his family is suing a number of defendants — including the owners of the Sagecrest apartment complex, First Rate Property Management, Parkcenter Plumbing and the water heater’s maker — for wrongful death, negligence and personal injury, KTVB reported.

The lawsuit alleges that Sagecrest knew there was a dangerous problem with its water heaters but didn’t address the issue, according to KTVB.

An northern Ohio family that suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning is suing the company that it alleges improperly put in its new furnace, according to The News Herald.

http://news-herald.com/articles/2012/08/13/news/doc502943e54e1c6914516191.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The lawsuit was filed by Denise and Patrick Eustace of Mentor, Ohio, against Anderson Heating-Cooling Inc., which is also based in Mentor. The action was filed Friday in Lake County Common Pleas Court, The News Herald reported.

As a result of the carbon monoxide leak from the new furnace, the suit charges that Denise Eustace began having headaches, memory loss, facial twitching and loss of balance, the newspaper said. She now has permanent vision deterioration as a result of the carbon monoxide poisoning, the lawsuit alleges, according to The News Herald.

In February last year, the Eustace family bought a Lennox energy-efficient furnace from Anderson. But the suit charges that the furnace was improperly installed, and that carbon monoxide leaked from it, according to The News Herald.

The day after Anderson installed the furnace, it began leaking water. Anderson employees came to repair it, but didn’t realize that it was leaking carbon monoxide, the suit alleges.

Patrick Eustace, and he and Denise’s daughter, also suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the lawsuit.

The plaintiffs are asking for $150,000 in damages, The News Herald reported.

A Wyoming woman has filed a federal lawsuit against the owner of an apartment complex, claiming she suffered traumatic brain injury following a carbon monoxide leak last year, according to the Casper Star-Tribune.

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/casper-woman-sues-apartment-owner-operator-for-carbon-monoxide-poisoning/article_1245d238-2834-5697-a8cb-a9801477ba6e.html

Amber Nicole Lompe alleges that she sustained permanent injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning in her apartment at Sunridge Apartments in Casper. She was living at that complex on Feb. 1, 2011, when carbon monoxide leaked into her room while she was sleeping. The lethal gas apparently came from a furnace and ventilation system, the Star-Tribune reported.

The lawsuit named the apartments’ operator, Apartment Management Consultants, and owner, Sunridge Partners Inc., as defendants, alleging that they were negligent.

The suit charges that Lompre’s apartment had carbon monoxide levels as high as 500 parts per million, and that she had an unsafe level in her blood, according to the Star-Tribune. The average level in a home is 5 parts per million.

The lawsuit alleges that the defendants had been aware that the furnace needed to be  either repaired or replaced, since it was had leaked carbon monoxide before.

And in a case of closing the barn door after the cow is out, on Feb. 11, 2011 the defendants gave Lompre a working carbon monoxide detector. Anticipating that she would sue, the defendants also just happened to destroy the furnace, the Star-Tribune reported.