Five days ago officials from the NASCAR race warned fans who were traveling with a recreational vehicle (RV) about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. A local health department in Indiana was also at Indianapolis Motor Speedway handing out information on carbon monoxide poisoning.

This warning to fans came in response to the tragic death of a 43-year-old man Michael Thies of Ruma, IL who suffered from carbon monoxide exposure and whose three family members were hospitalized from carbon monoxide fumes. The carbon monoxide is believed to have entered their RV from the exhaust of other nearby RVs.

For further information on the story:;=6284464

Since summer has arrived more people are using their RVs to go to concerts, camp sites and sporting events. RVs are popular for traveling because they have beds, kitchens, refrigerators and small bathrooms. With these pleasures comes the responsibility of knowing the potential risk of carbon monoxide exposure.

Traditionally, winter is when carbon monoxide problems are most prevalent, however, this spring and summer have been particularly bad for such seasons.

It is important to know that there are several steps that RV users should take to ensure their safety. In our next blog, we will discuss the steps that RV users should consider to ensure that they are preventing carbon monoxide exposure.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water… Not the water, but today’s news reports highlight another springtime hazard, construction sites. According to WHDH news in Boston, a construction worker was overcome today from what was thought to be carbon monoxide poisoning. Latest reports are dismissing the threat of carbon monoxide, but the risk factors could certainly exist. For the complete story, click here.

In this incident, the workers was working on a two mile long tunnel. Thus, the threat for a poorly ventilated carbon monoxide producing machine exists. What if there was no engine? Well, the human body is such a machine too.

As we shiver on a wet and windy day in Chicago, it seems bizarre to talk about boating, yet that season is soon upon us. (We hope.) As outboard motors replace the fires we build in our furnaces, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning shifts but is not eliminated. Remember, any time you burn, you have fumes, and in most cases carbon monoxide. If you don’t vent those fumes properly, you could be poisoned. Here is what the coast guard has to say about CO exposure in boats:

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) can harm and even kill you inside or outside your boat!
Did you also know:

CO symptoms are similar to seasickness or alcohol intoxication?
CO can affect you whether you’re underway, moored, or anchored?
You cannot see, smell, or taste CO?
CO can make you sick in seconds. In high enough concentrations, even a few breaths can be fatal?
Most important of all, did you know carbon monoxide poisonings are preventable? Every boater should be aware of the risks associated with carbon monoxide – what it is; where it may accumulate; and the symptoms of CO poisoning. To protect yourself, your passengers, and those around you, learn all you can about CO.

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
The must-know facts about carbon monoxide. If you don’t recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning, you may not receive the medical attention you need.

Where CO May Accumulate
You’re not just at risk inside a boat. Knowing all the possible places where CO may accumulate could save your life.

How to Protect Others & Yourself
CO poisoning is preventable. Here are specific steps you can take to help prevent carbon monoxide from harming you, your passengers, or fellow boaters.

Helpful Checklists and Maintenance Tips
A checklist for every trip, plus a monthly and annual checklist. They’re easy for you to print and use.

Downloadable Educational Tools
Brochures, photos, posters, and other tools to help increase awareness about carbon monoxide and recreational boating.