Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle Wednesday signed a bill that mandates that state residents put carbon monoxide detectors in their residences.

Under the new law, carbon monoxide detectors will have to be installed on all floors of single-family homes and two-unit residences. These detectors are already required in other kinds of housing.

New homes will also have to have carbon monoxide detectors.

However, the law doesn’t have any teeth to it. There is no fine for those who don’t comply with the law. Officials said that the legislation is mean to educate and encourage compliance.

A carbon monoxide detector saved a Lexington, Ky., family from being poisoned by the deadly gas.

The family, which lives on Lakeview Drive, were alerted to the gas at 2 a.m. Monday morning.

Local firefighters responded to the scene, and the family did say it was feeling sick.

Authorities found high levels of carbon monoxide, and the family had to spend the night in a hotel.

A venting foul-up is suspected of causing the potentially deadly CO build-up.

For more information on carbon monoxide exposure, see

Washington state is looking to overturn part of its law regarding carbon monoxide, the most common cause of accidental poisoning in the United States. And that has an expert on carbon monoxide poisoning up in arms.

“I am appalled that the state in which I reside would consider taking a giant step backward in preventing injury and death from carbon monoxide,” Dr. Neil Hampson wrote in a piece for The News Tribune.

He warns that under the pending House Bill 2886, existing home would no longer be required to have carbon monoxide detectors installed before their sale. That would eliminate “one of the best methods in which to ensure that CO alarms are phased into homes and can protect families,” he wrote.

The bill will also push back by two years the mandate that CO alarms be installed in apartments, hotels and student housing.

Yet Oregon, Illinois, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Colorado and Vermont were able to enforce their CO detector requirements for apartment buildings and hotels in far less time than two years, Hampson said.

He notes that more than 1,000 people die of carbon monoxide poisoning each year, and that those who survive a poisoning incident sometimes sustain permanent brain damage.

For more information on carbon monoxide exposure, see

Here’s a mystery: A carbon monoxide scare that didn’t turn up any carbon monoxide.

Earlier this week 31 students and faculty members at a school in Derry, N.H., became ill and were evacuated, then treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. But as it turns out, investigators didn’t find any of the dangerous gas in the building.

On Wednesday St. Thomas Aquinas School was evacuated, but the next day students were back in class.

When the local fire department tested the school for carbon monoxide Wednesday, the results were negative. But to be safe, St. Thomas Aquinas has installed nine carbon monoxide detectors in the school, including one in the third-floor classroom where the first students said they felt ill.

Firefighters did another carbon monoxide test before students returned to the school Thursday morning.

Emergency crews administered care to 31 students and teachers Wednesday, for what appeared to be symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

For more information on carbon monoxide exposure, go to

Another day, seemingly the same headline. It’s carbon-monoxide poisoning season, with yet another hotel, this one in New Hampshire, having to be evacuated because of the deadly gas. Eleven people, including nine guests, became ill Monday because of high levels of the potentially fatal gas at a Hilton Hotel, according to the Associated Press.

The Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Portsmouth, N.H., had to shut down Monday morning after a faulty exhaust vent in the basement boiler room leaked dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Nine hotel guests and two hotel employees were hospitalized, and one was released Monday.

Authorities determined that the carbon monoxide level in the Hilton was 600 parts per million, when 35 to 45 parts per million are considered safe.

On Sunday a Courtyard by Marriott in downtown Chattanooga, Tenn., was evacuated because of high levels of carbon monoxide. Four employees were hospitalized.

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning, go to

The Courtyard by Marriott in downtown Chattanooga, Tenn., was evacuated Sunday morning after four of its employees were sickened by carbon monoxide gas.

The four hotel employees, who included a pregnant woman, were sent to a local hospital for treatment.

All four of the employees had been working in the hotel’s basement when they began to feel ill. Three of the four Marriott workers showed high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning, and were due to be treated in a hyperbaric chamber.

Dozens of guests were moved out of the hotel, where 120 of its 128 rooms were occupied. They were sent to the nearby Residence Inn by Marriott.

Authorities suspected that a running truck that was parked near the hotel for a long time might have been the source of the carbon monoxide.

Paramedics had been called to the Courtyard Marriott on a medical call about 10 a.m. By 1:30 p.m. Sunday, staff and guests were able to go back to the hotel.

The culprit in this is not the truck, but likely the way in which the air intake for the hotels HVAC system was designed. If the fresh air intake is somewhere near where an engine is going to be running, there is a severe risk of carbon monoxide exposure. For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning, go to

Most people realize that winter is the carbon monoxide season, with fault furnaces and space heaters the perceived culprit. Yet what most people don’t understand how dangerous it can be just to get stranded in the winter in a car.

Three men in Maryland died in their cars over the weekend of carbon monoxide poisoning and two families were hospitalized in separate incidents.

Authorities in Prince George’s County found a 24-year-old man from Glen Burnie and a 29-year-old from Bladensburg dead in a parked vehicle in Bladensburg. They fell asleep in the running car, and it appears that they were overcome by carbon monoxide because their exhaust pipe had been blocked by snow.

In a similar incident, a 55-year-old man was found dead in his running car in Greenbelt.

And two families were stricken by carbon monoxide poisoning when they used gasoline-run generator to heat their homes after a power outage.

Six people, five adults and a child, were taken from their Landover Hills home for hyperbaric treatment.

And in Oxon Hill five children had to get hyperbaric treatment after inhaling dangerous carbon monoxide fumes. Four adults declined treatment.

For more information about the risks of carbon monoxide exposure, go to

Another culprit in the carbon monoxide poisoning equation is portable generators, that are so often used in RV’s. The details aren’t clear yet, but don’t be surprised to learn that some external generation of electricity, vented directly into the RV was the problem here.

A San Francisco couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning while in a trailer park in Texas, according to the Dallas News.

Matthew Rawley, 43, and his 34-year-old wife Nicole were found dead in their trailer at the Gator Run RV park in Rusk County, southeast of Longview, Texas, last weekend.

They died of carbon monoxide poisoning, the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Science confirmed.

The married couple had been slated to check out of the RV park the morning they were found dead.

For more information about the risks of carbon monoxide exposure, go to

A Wal-Mart in Gladstone, Mo., had to be evacuated Saturday because of high carbon monoxide levels, which sent 10 employees and construction workers to local hospitals.

Police came to the scene at 6:30 a.m. after getting complaints that Wal-Mart employees were felt ill and had headaches.

The store was still shut at noon as authorities tried to find the source of the dangerous gas. Initially, police thought that the carbon monoxide had come from a tank used for welding. They then were checking a new heating and cooling system.

For more information on carbon monoxide risks and exposures, see Any time a motor is run indoors, or adjacent to the intake for a building, there is a risk of carbon monoxide exposure. All dwellings and commercial buildings should have detectors.

A toddler’s birthday party in New Mexico almost turned lethal, as 25 people got carbon monoxide poisoning, with a dozen of them nearly dying, according to an online story by KREZ.

The owner of the home where the party took place Saturday, Carlos Quintana, said he was using a propane heater to keep his garage warm during the party for a little girl in Farmington, N.M. The garage doors were closed.

Suddenly, two children were overcome by the carbon monoxide fumes and fell down sick. They were rushed to the hospital. But more people began to get ill.

Quintana turned the heater off, and opened the garage door to let the fumes escape. But the party-goers had already breathed in noxious levels of the carbon monoxide.

Some of them were sent to the San Juan Regional Medical Center in Farmington, while 12 had to be flown to hospitals in Denver, Albuquerque and Santa Fe, according to KREZ.

Nine went to a hyperbaric medical center, a facility that specializes in treating carbon-monoxide poisoning, in Santa Fe.

The girl’s birthday party was rescheduled for Monday. For a better understanding the full consequences of carbon monoxide exposure go to