Islanders who insisted on staying died in Ike

Date: 10/4/2008 1:58 PM By MONICA RHORAssociated Press Writer GALVESTON, Texas (AP) _ The final hours brought the awful realization to victims of Hurricane Ike that they had waited too long. This storm wasn’t like the others, the ones that left nothing worse than a harrowing tale to tell. George Helmond, a hardy Galveston salt, […]

Man indicted in Ohio house fire that killed 9

Date: 10/1/2008 6:10 PM By THOMAS J. SHEERAN CLEVELAND (AP) _ A man already in prison on drug and weapons charges was indicted Wednesday in a 2005 house fire that killed nine people, including eight children at a birthday sleepover. Antun Lewis, 24, of Cleveland, was charged with arson in the house fire in May […]

Paraguay architect sentenced in deadly market fire

Date: 9/24/2008 8:06 PM ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) _ A Paraguayan court convicted an architect of negligence Wednesday and sentenced him to two years in prison for faulty construction of a supermarket where 420 people died in a fire. The three-judge panel that convicted Bernardo Ismachowiez, 53, found that he was responsible for defective design and […]

Another Camping Carbon Monoxide Tragedy

Three campers’ family event became tragic when they were exposed to carbon monoxide fumes while relaxing inside their camper which was mounted on the bed of the family pick-up truck. Faulty air conditioner wires are believed to have caused toxic fumes to be released into the camper. For information on this story please see:http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/aug/06/carbon-monoxide-suspected-deaths-three-illinois-re/ It […]

2 die in New York City apartment fire

Date: 8/10/2008 10:22 AM BC-NY-Deadly Fire/104Eds: APNewsNow. NEW YORK (AP) _ Firefighters and residents say an apartment fire in New York City has killed a woman and her adult son and sent neighbors running to the roof to escape. The blaze erupted in a third-floor apartment on Manhattan’s Upper East Side shortly after midnight. Authorities […]

Carbon monoxide poisoning left two tenants unconscious

BREWER, Maine (AP) — Carbon monoxide poisoning left two tenants unconscious and sickened many more in a 31-unit apartment complex, fire officials said. Officials believe a separated vent pipe from a new water heater allowed the colorless, odorless gas to seep into the building. Many of the victims were treated in a hyperbaric chamber.

Summer of Exposure – Carbon Monoxide Symptoms

Yesterday we talked about the fourteen things that RV users can do to prevent being exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Today we are going to review what symptoms a person with carbon monoxide might have. Since, carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and invisible it is important to identify symptoms if you are exposed. There are […]

Fourteen Safety Tips For RV User to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Since it is important for RV users to know how they can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning we have found a useful list of recommendations to ensure RV travelers are safer. This information came from Carbon Monoxide Kills, a site that started the Carbon Monoxide Kills Awareness Campaign in 1999. They are strong advocates for carbon […]

Summer of Exposure – – To Carbon Monoxide

Five days ago officials from the NASCAR race warned fans who were traveling with a recreational vehicle (RV) about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. A local health department in Indiana was also at Indianapolis Motor Speedway handing out information on carbon monoxide poisoning. This warning to fans came in response to the tragic death […]

Water Pump Causes Carbon Monoxide Death Again

Once again, a portable engine in a poorly ventilated place has caused carbon monoxide poisoning and death. This time, it was inside a gold mine in O’Neals, CA. See http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id;=6154061 According to ABC, “the bodies of brothers David and Matthew Alison from Prather and their cousin, Brannon Scharf of Madera, were discovered in an abandoned […]