Five people were hospitalized in a San Antonio carbon monoxide poisoning on Sunday, March 11, 2018. The carbon monoxide poisoning occurred at an apartment complex. Apparently stemmed from a hot water heater from a broken or blocked exhaust vent. The carbon monoxide poisoning occurred at Marbach Manor apartments on the 7200 block of Marbach Road in San Antonio, Texas. A total of 30 people were reportedly evacuated. See

Warm Weather no Bar to San Antonio Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is typically thought to be something that occurs in cold weather. But even during warm weather, CO poisoning can occur. This is especially true in apartments or hotels which use commercial sized hot water heaters. Without the proper flow of oxygen to any fuel burning appliance, carbon monoxide will form in dangerous concentrations. Further, when the proper venting of fumes  is interrupted, the flow of oxygen to the flame can create toxic conditions. Most commercial sized hot water heaters require the outflow of exhaust to keep the oxygen flowing to the flame. Carbon monoxide occurs any time there is too much natural gas to the amount of oxygen present.

As we express our best wishes for those who were hospitalized, we want to emphasize that hyperbaric oxygen therapy should be required for all those poisoned. Too often, if the carbon monoxide percentage in the blood of those poisoned is below 25%, hyperbaric oxygen will not be called for. This is a mistake. Anyone who has more than a 10% carbon monoxide level in their blood, should receive hyperbaric oxygen treatment.

All in San Antonio Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Should Get Evaluated

Our second concern for the well being of those involved in this San Antonio carbon monoxide poisoning is that all evacuated should go to the hospital and have their carbon monoxide levels taken. Not every one who needs treatment gets it. This is especially true in mass carbon monoxide poisonings. On the scene triage often miss people with significant poisonings. Sometimes there are not enough ambulances to transfer everyone needing attention. Many times, the long term consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning may be more severe than expected. While a 10% carboxyhemoglobin level may only cause a slight headache it is sufficient to cause long term problems.  Up to 40% of survivors with 10% levels can have  long term consequences.

Get to the hospital, insist on hyperbaric oxygen. We say these same things after most poisonings becausse that should be the standard of care for all carbon monoxide poisonings.

Attorney Gordon Johnson

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.