Mount Olive Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Dozen Hospitalized in Mount Olive Carbon Monoxide Incident

Carbon monoxide strikes in the best neighborhoods, strikes indiscriminately to children, adults or even rescue workers. Even Good Samaritan passer byes who save the day may get poisoned is the levels are high enough. That is how a dozen people got hospitalized in the Mount Olive Carbon Monoxide poisoning on Monday, August 14, 2017. Mount Olive is in New Jersey.

High levels left a dozen hospitalized in Mount Olive Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A dozen hospitalized after Mount Olive carbon monoxide poisoning. Levels reach 1,600 ppm. Video embedded below.

While unconfirmed, reports are that the carbon monoxide ambient air levels in the beautiful single family home in Mount Olive were as high as 1600 ppm. Even an hour in that poisoned environment could kill. That level was high enough to poison rescue workers. Reports are that at least four occupants of the home were so poisoned that they need hyperbaric oxygen therapy to help push the carbon monoxide out of their system.

 

According to New York CBS local:

Melanie Milo and her boyfriend Afam Nwande were walking along Finnimore Court at 7:30 p.m. Monday when they heard calls for help coming from a man who had just come home to find his entire family passed out inside. Outside the home, the man’s two young children were laying unconscious on the lawn.

“No smell, no odor, just people,” Milo said.

“He says ‘My wife’s in there, I need help carrying her.’ I ran upstairs, she’s at the top of the stairs, I picked her up brought her out and I laid her next to his kids,” Nwande said.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/08/15/mount-olive-carbon-monoxide-poisoning/amp/

Two young men were found unresponsive in the basement. One was nude, possibly because he fell unconscious in the shower.

Levels as high as were in the home are often referred to as “drop where you stop” levels.

“The one gentleman was on the floor in the bathroom, he was nude, it appears he may have fallen out of the shower, the other one was asleep in a room,” Milo said.

The family sensed something was wrong, but had no idea what it was until hours later. A pool maintenance man got no response at the front door four hours before when he came to do his work. Efforts to alert the family didn’t trigger an alarm.

If there were carbon monoxide detectors inside of the home they should certainly have gone off by the time the levels got to 100 ppm. Investigations as to the cause of the Mount Olive carbon monoxide poisonings are focused on the hot water heater, which is often the culprit in warm weather poisonings.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *