Plainfield Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Leaves Two Dead

Two people and three pets were found dead in a Plainfield residence in a welfare check on the home, according to the Chicago Sun Times.

The deaths were a result of a carbon monoxide poisoning, and five of the officers who responded were also overcome by the odorless, tasteless, colorless gas.

The officers responded Monday to a residence on the 12700 block of Shelly Lane for a welfare check on the southwest suburban home.

The victims of the poisoning were a 65-year-old woman and her adult daughter, a 29-year-old woman, who police found upon arrival, police say.

The article states that preliminary information indicates the women died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The article did not state how high the levels of carbon monoxide were within the home or how long they may have been exposed to the fumes.

In addition to the two women, three animals were also found dead within the home. Pets and small children are going to be more vulnerable to being overcome by carbon monoxide, because they are smaller.

For a blog post related to carbon monoxide poisoning in pets, click here.

The article mentioned that the five officers who responded were transported to Rush Copley Hospital in Aurora to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. The article did not state what treatment the officers received.

The best treatment in the literature is hyperbaric oxygen treatment, where 100 percent oxygen is delivered in a pressurized chamber. This therapy can reduce the cognitive sequelae that comes in the weeks after the poisoning.

Carbon monoxide damages the brain in two ways. The first is by depriving the brain of oxygen. The second is by leaving toxins behind that can damage the brain in the weeks following the incident.

The Plainfield carbon monoxide poisoning is still being investigated. The best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to purchase a carbon monoxide detector, which can be bought rather inexpensively.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *