Two floors were evacuated Tuesday afternoon after high levels of carbon monoxide were released into the air in a Springfield, Massachusetts hotel, according to Mass Live.

The guests have returned to their rooms now, but at the time, a faulty boiler was releasing dangerously high levels of the toxic gas.

Approximately 50 guests had to leave the hotel on the sixth and seventh floors due to deadly levels of the gas being released, according to officials.

The boiler had to be taken off line until the air returned to being safe for guests to return to their hotel rooms.

Mass Live reported that the levels of carbon monoxide were sky high, as high as 3,000 parts per million. Breathing air that has 35 ppm over in half an hour of time like can cause symptoms severe symptoms, even death.

The news article stated that there were “no injuries” to any guests or employees. Although one firefighter was treated for nausea, he did not require hospitalization.

It seemed a little strange that only two floors were evacuated and that with levels that high no one required further treatment or hospitalization. The high levels could have been deadly within minutes. This just highlights why hotels and buildings used for sleeping that have fuel-burning appliances need to have carbon monoxide detectors.

A malfunction with a boiler that emits carbon monoxide as a byproduct could be deadly. People wouldn’t be able to see, taste, or smell the gas. Especially if sleeping, the gas could be particularly dangerous. If the guests are experiencing any residual symptoms, they should probably follow-up with a physician.

Delayed neurological sequelae is a condition that can cause cognitive deficits after the initial carbon monoxide poisoning. Thus, anyone who starts to feel worse not better in the coming days, needs to seek medical attention and to document what they are feeling.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *