Gas-powered generator causes death of three due to CO poisoning

Two adults and a two-year-old child were found dead inside a home in Columbus, GA Thursday due to carbon monoxide emissions from a gas-powered generator, according to Fox 5.

The Muskegee County coroner told reporters that officials were called to the house very early Thursday morning, where they found 23-year-old Jose Alfredo Perez, 27-year-old Edilberto Moreno, and a two-year-old named Emily.

The source of the carbon monoxide was a gas-powered generator that was being used inside the home.

The cause of death was asphyxia (severe oxygen deficit to the body) due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

A fourth unidentified woman was also taken to the hospital as a result, and her condition is unknown at this time.

Despite warnings on gas generators, people still use them indoors, and every year about 500 people die as a result, according to ABC WALB News.

This kind of incident can be prevented if a carbon monoxide detector is installed in the home, which can be purchased inexpensively.

Carbon monoxide can kill someone within thirty minutes, which is why it’s so important to install detectors. They can warn you about the dangerous gas before it’s too late.

According to the American Lung Association, people often do not know they are about to die because it deprives oxygen to the brain so fast. It’s an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that can sneak up on you.

The generator was being used as an alternative to regular electrical power. This case proves that it’s not just temperature or geography that cause carbon monoxide poisoning. It can happen anywhere all year round.

It’s important to never operate a generator indoors and keep it 25 feet from a confined space.

For the survivor, the extent of the damages may not be over in a few days. In one study, researchers studied the brains of three people four years after toxic carbon monoxide poisoning using magnetic resonance imaging. They found lesions on the brain, otherwise brain damage, four years after the poisoning.

More stories about generators and carbon monoxide poisoning:

Generator Causes Six Carbon Monoxide Deaths:

https://carbonmonoxide-poisoning.com/2016/02/generator-causes-six-carbon-monoxide-deaths.html

Carbon Monoxide Emission Standard in Portable Generators:

https://carbonmonoxide-poisoning.com/2016/02/carbon-monoxide-emission-standard-portable-generators.html

High Carbon Monoxide Generators Should Not Be Sold to Customers:

https://carbonmonoxide-poisoning.com/2016/02/high-carbon-monoxide-generators-not-sold-consumers.html

Carbon Monoxide and a Portable Generator, Again:

https://carbonmonoxide-poisoning.com/2016/03/carbon-monoxide-and-a-portable-generator-again.html

Safety Guidelines for Operating a Portable Generator:

https://carbonmonoxide-poisoning.com/2016/08/safety-tips-operating-portable-generator.html

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *