It’s summer, steaming and people are heading to lakes to go boating and cool off. In other words, it’s the season for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The exhaust from a boat engine and from on-board generator this weekend killed one man, and sickened others, in two separate incidents in the boiling hot Southwest.

On Saturday at Bear Lake in Randolph, Utah, a passenger on a boat became sick, according to the Associated Press. His boat mates called 911 for help, assuming that he had heat stroke.

The man’s friends, and EMTs, performed CPR on the 22-year-old, to no avail. He was pronounced dead at the scene, and the Medical Examiner said the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning, AP reported.

http://www.chron.com/news/science/article/Official-Man-dies-of-carbon-monoxide-at-Bear-Lake-4640266.php

The boat was an older model without an outboard engine, according to AP, and authorities believe the victim was sitting near an exhaust pipe and inhaled the lethal fumes.

In the second incident, on Sunday morning about a dozen people who were boating on Lake Mead in Nevada became ill because of exposure to carbon monoxide, apparently from a generator on the vessel, AP reported.

Five people were airlifted to a Las Vegas hospital; four were transported by ambulance; and three were treated and released, according to AP.

 

http://www.mynews4.com/news/story/Boaters-sickened-by-carbon-monoxide-on-Lake-Mead/ai4A6LU8GU21twa7oYr-XQ.cspx

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.