Conn. Senate Passes Carbon Monoxide Detector Bill

A Christmas Day fire in Connecticut killed a 9-year-old girl, her twin 7-year-old sisters and their grandparents. But some good has come of their tragic deaths in 2911.

The Nutmeg State’s Senate on Wednesday passed a bill that mandates that one- and two-family homes have carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in place at the time of sale, according to the Stamford Advocate. Last year the bill failed to get passed. Hopefully, this year will be different. It will be going to Gov. Daniel Malloy next for his approval.

 http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Christmas-fire-recalled-in-smoke-detector-bill-4581154.php

The proposed legislation came in response to the deaths of Lily Badger, her sisters Sarah and Grace and their grandparents in Shippan, Conn. The house they were staying in was undergoing renovations, and didn’t have carbon monoxide or smoke detectors, the Advocate said. If it had them, the five fire victims would probably be alive today.

If passed, the new law would take effect Jan. 1 next year.  Sellers who don’t have homes with carbon monoxide and smoke detectors would be required to fork over $250 to the buyer at closing to pay for the installation of the alarms.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *