Thank God for all the boyfriends and dogs that have saved their loved ones from perishing from carbon monoxide poisoning.

In the latest example,  a young Illinois man saved his girlfriend, her family and her dog from certain death in Antioch early Monday morning, according to the Lake County News-Sun.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/18467473-418/antioch-family-overcome-by-carbon-monoxide-poisoning.html

Earlier in the night the man had spoken to his 22-year-old girlfriend, who complained that she felt ill and was throwing up, the local newspaper said. He went to her family’s home on Bowles Road at roughly 6 a.m., and no one came to the door.

He peeked through a window and spotted his girlfriend’s dad lying on the floor, unconscious, the News-Sun reported. He called 911, and responders found not only the father overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning but also the girlfriend, her mother, her 13-year-old sister and the family’s dog.

All of them were brought outside and given oxygen. The humans were brought to Aurora Health Care Hospital and United Hospital System St. Catherine’s Medical Center campus in Kenosha, Wis., according to the News-Sun. The dog was sent to a veterinarian.

The 13-year-old girl later had to be taken by helicopter from St. Catherine’s to Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, to be treated in a hyperbaric chamber. Such chambers make carbon monoxide come out of a person’s blood.

The carbon monoxide leak was traced to a malfunctioning boiler, the News-Sun reported. The house didn’t have any carbon monoxide detectors, which are now required by law in new buildings.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.