The Sears in a mall in Jersey City, N.J., Tuesday was evacuated after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the store, according to The Jersey Journal.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2012/10/sears_at_newport_centre_mall_i.html

In a rather weird happenstance, the Jersey City Fire Department had just entered the store at the Newport Centre mall to conduct a routine fire inspection when the inspector’s portable carbon monoxide alarm went off, The Journal reported.

The reading was 55 parts per million, far above the level that’s considered dangerous, which is 35 parts per million and higher.

The fire inspector reported the situation and PSE&G was called to the scene to try to find the source of the lethal gas, according to The Journal. The carbon monoxide apparently came through the store’s HVAC system, but PSE&G hadn’t found the source.

No one was injured or hospitalized as a result of the gas, The Journal reported.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.