The University of Central Arkansas (UCA) will be installing carbon monoxide detectors in one of its buildings next week after an incident where nearly a dozen people, including five students,  became ill.

Last Thursday Burdick Hall on the school’s campus in Conway, Ark., was evacuated after some students became ill. They complained of nausea and dizziness, according to

Five students, five campus  police officers and and a paramedic were sent to Conway Regional Medical Center for treatment.

The building’s air system was inspected. Results from testing by the Conway Fire Department and the Environmental Enterprise Group showed oxygen levels at normal ranges.

On Friday, UCA issued a press release on the situation with an update. It said that officials  will be taking additional measures to ensure that Burdick Hall is safe for students, faculty, staff and visitors.

Carbon monoxide detectors and oxygen level meters will be installed in the building next week. Officials will also seek an additional test from an independent company specializing in environmental concerns.

Classes scheduled in Burdick Hall will be held in other locations while the building is being tested.

“We want to ensure the safety of our students, faculty, staff and that is why we are taking these additional steps,” said UCA President Tom Courtway.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *