Nine Hospitalized In Chicago For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Last week in Chicago nine family members were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning after the water heater in their Far South Side home apparently leaked the potentially fatal gas, according to The Chicago Tribune.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-multiple-victims-sickened-by-carbon-monoxide-in-south-deering-20120616,0,2803753.story

On June 16 five ambulances responded to the single-family house on South Hoxie Avenue in the South Deering section of the Windy City. Dangerous carbon monoxide levels were measured at the home, according to The Tribune, at 500 parts per million.

Ten people, part of the same family, complained of headaches and were treated at the scene. Of those, nine were taken to hospitals — three each to Advocate Trinity Hospital, Jackson Park Hospital and Medical Center, and South Shore Hospital, The Tribune reported.

Authorities suspect that a malfunctioning hot water heater released the deadly carbon monoxide.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *