Carbon Monoxide Detectors A Must For Elderly Loved Ones, Neighbors

Let’s hope a life lesson, about how to look out for your elders, is learned from this tragedy.

An 82-year-old Wyckoff, N.J., woman last week died of carbon monoxide in her bedroom, which was located  above the garage where she had left her car running,  The Record of North Jersey reported.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/bergen/bergen_safety/051812_Wyckoff_woman_dies_of_carbon_monoxide_poisoning_after_car_left_running_in_garage.html

The victim as Mary Ringley of Covington Place, according to the Wyckoff police department. Her dog was also found dead in another bedroom in the home, according to The Record.

Ringley had apparently returned home at about 4 p.m. Thursday, and didn’t turn off her car. She was found shortly after noon on Friday by her son, The Record reported.

There wasn’t a single carbon monoxide detector in the house.

Several people posted comments on the story, and the gist of them was all the same: Look out for the elderly.

One man posted, “C’mon folks…. make sure your parents and grandparents have a CO alarm.”

Another person posted, “How about, as a society, stop leaving our elders alone to fend for themselves?”

And a third person wrote, “We need to take care of our own. When we are young our parents take care of us & when they are old we take care of them.”

They are all correct. If you have any older relatives, friends or neighbors, make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors in their residences.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *