Four people, including two toddlers, in Antelope, Calif., were sent to the hospital Saturday morning for carbon monoxide poisoning, according to KRCA’s website.

http://www.kcra.com/r/30853114/detail.html

Firefighters were called to a home on Little Rock Drive, where a 23-year-old woman and 17-year-old female youth said that they were nauseous and had headaches, KCRA reported. There was also a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old in the house.

The responders immediately suspected that carbon monoxide was making the residents ill, and tested the air in the home. They discovered high levels of carbon monoxide, and immediately shut the gas to the house, according to KCRA. They let the dangerous fumes escape by opening the windows and doors.

Authorities suspect that the carbon monoxide came from a water heater that wasn’t correctly vented, KCRA reported.

The home didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector, as required by law. Effective last July, single-family homes in the Golden State were required to install carbon monoxide detectors.

That mandate becomes effective for leased or rented multi-family dwellings, including apartments, by Jan. 1, 2013, according to KCRA.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.