Green Bay Hotel Had Lethal Carbon Monoxide Levels In Leak That Sent 16 To The Hospital

The Hilton Garden Inn in Green Bay is apparently still keeping mum about a carbon monoxide leak a week ago that lead to about 16 people going to the hospital. At least, that what the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported Friday.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012201060552

The newspaper did a follow-up story that published information from the Green Bay Fire Department’s report on the carbon monoxide incident at 1015 Lombardi Ave. Apparently, there was no mention in the report of whether the hotel had carbon monoxide detectors, as required by Wisconsin state law.

According to the records, EMTs got to the Hilton Garden Inn at 9 p.m. on Dec. 30. They found four people, including several children, who had the classic symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, nausea and vomiting.

Then more hotel guests came forward and complained of having similar symptoms, the Press-Gazette reported. Firefighters said that two sick people were transported to a hospital by ambulance, a 17-year-old woman and a 25-year-old woman. In addition, roughly 14 others went to the hospital in private vehicles.

The fire report on the incident said that high levels of carbon monoxide were found in a swimmng pool area, a workout room, a mechanical room, a stairway and several restrooms, according to the Press-Gazette.

The newspaper stated that fire officials found carbon monoxide levels up to 800 parts per million near the pool and 957 parts per million in an equipment room. Those readings soar above the carbon monoxide level that sometimes prompts the evacuation of buildings: 9 parts per million.

Firefighters pulled the plug on any potential sources of carbon monoxide, ventilated the hotel and had hotel employees check on other occupants at the 123-room facility.  The fire crew left the scene about 11:30 p.m.

If the Green Bay Fire Department report said anything about carbon monoxide detectors, then the Press-Gazette didn’t mention it. And we doubt that. 

Hilton Garden Inn general manager Michelle Lang declined to comment to the Press-Gazette. Maybe that answers the question about the carbon monoxide detectors. 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *