Thousands of homeowners in the U. S. purchase backup power generators in case their electrical power is interrupted.  A significant and potentially fatal to humans and pets problem continually occurs with each severe storm and the use of gasoline and diesel generators.  The problem is that generators emit carbon monoxide.  Some generator owners fail to use the potentially life-saving machinery properly, but instead misuse them and turn them into life-threatening machines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/1-dies-6-treated-after-generators-found-indoors-at-homes-in-howard-prince-georges/2011/08/30/gIQA0TotpJ_story.html

Serious injury and death in reports out of Maryland in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene indicate that no less than six people have been hospitalized and one person died due to carbon monoxide poisoning because they operated their gas or diesel powered generators indoors, either in their houses or garages, without proper ventilation.  Carbon monoxide poisoning is a major contributor to Traumatic Brain Injury.

Below is a link describing proper use of generators.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_operation

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.