Here’s a frightening and tragic lesson for parents: Your own vehicle, especially if it’s an older model, can expose yout young children to carbon monoxide poisoning.

That’s what happened last Friday in Kentucky. A 15-month-old died of carbon monoxide poisoning, and her two siblings became sick, while on a trip in their family’s minivan, according to the Associated Press.   

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/23/AR2011012300005.html

The family was driving on Interstate 64 in Frankfort, Ky., when the parents realized that one of their three children, toddler Brienna Scruggs, was ill. They drove to a local hospital, and all three of the children were unconscious when they arrived there.

Scruggs was pronounced dead later than night, while her two older siblings were given oxygen and then regained consciousness.

Officals said that young children breathe faster than adults and therefire are at more of a risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The family had been on its way to Indianapolis from West Virginia. 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.