When you don’t have any electricity, I guess you don’t think about the potential danger of using a portable generator in your home. But you should, as a family in the Mohawk Valley area of New York found out last week.

Some 11 family members were sent to the hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning after a basement generator released the potentially lethal fumes. http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=12512385

Those  in the Amsterdam, N.Y., home, who were ages seven to 24 years old, had to get treated at the hospital after firefighters were sent to the scene at 4 a.m. last Wednesday. The rescuers were called in when a child in the house, which was getting its electricity from the generator, woke up vomiting. 

The power company National Grid had cut off electricity to the residence.

After being treated at a local hospital, two of the group were later transferred to Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, N.Y.

  

 

 

2 replies

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. […] Carbon Monoxide From Generator Sickens Family Of 11 In New York … […]

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.