January 6, 2009

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DENVER — Investigators say a boiler vent damaged during a recent windstorm may have led to the high levels of carbon monoxide that left one college student dead.

Denver’s Chief Deputy Coroner Michelle Weiss-Samaras says 23-year-old Lauren Johnson died Monday after being taken from a third-floor unit at Josephine Place Apartments. Johnson and another woman were hospitalized.

University of Denver spokesman Jim Berscheidt says Johnson was a first-year graduate student at the school’s international-studies program. He says she was from Vancouver, Wash.

Authorities say a woman had called 911 shortly before 5 p.m. Monday saying she felt woozy.

Denver fire spokesman Lt. Phil Champagne says investigators found that carbon monoxide had leaked from a flue from the boiler. Champagne says whoever fixed the old flue vent cap did not attach it properly.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

codamage.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.