It is probably just the perception from what makes the national news, but Pennsylvania seems to be the hardest hit this winter for Carbon Monoxide poisoning. The latest story to make news on Carbon monoxide exposure takes place in Altoona, PA, where a family of 5 was treated for exposure. The family was exposed to a CO level of 500 ppm, as opposed to what is considered a safe level of 9 ppm. That is more than 50 times a safe level. For more on this story, click here.

One of the disturbing parts to the story is that the the carbon monoxide levels were so high, that the smoke detectors were going off. Smoke detectors are not designed to detect even lethal levels of carbon monoxide, as it is not have the type of substance that leaves a tangible particulate in the air, which is what sets off smoke detectors.

Again, as always, I would remind everyone that a clean bill of health from hospital officials on the day of exposure, does not assure that there may not be long term health consequences. This is especially true with small children and older people. This family had a three year old and a two year old. Carbon monoxide exposure can cause a delay neurological symptoms DNS, which can appear 2 to 40 days after the exposure. For more information on DNS, click here.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.