The temperature is plummeting in the upper midwest, and the number of carbon monoxide poisoning cases is skyrocketing. This time it was Libertyville, IL. One man dead. The culprit, a malfunctioning hot water boiler for a car wash, in an enclosed space. That is a lethal combinations: a stressed boiler, a small room. No carbon monoxide detector installed. For complete details see http://www.pioneerlocal.com/libertyville/news/764884,li-pjohnson-012908-s1.article

In theory, all fires (and a boiler, a furnace, a hot water heater, a fireplace, an engine are all fires) should occur in the open air where all fumes, including carbon monoxide will be dispersed below critical levels. Of course, the practicalities of civilized society is to bring the comforts of fire, indoors. Thus, comes the science and engineering of assuring complete combustion, which eliminates the risk of CO creation, and the science and engineering of complete ventilation of the exhaust of our controlled fires. But when science and engineering get translated into actual products and buildings, that must be designed, produced and maintained, there is always a risk of a break down, and the poison gas killing.

Engineers must always be on the watch for modifications of their designs and products, which could turn a well thought out design deadly. Maintenance people must always keep in mind the deadly nature of fire risk. Human occupants, must always remember to make sure their are carbon monoxide detectors to immediately warn of danger.

CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. SOMEONE WAS NEGLIGENT WHEN IT DID. Landlords, building owners must install carbon monoxide protectors to make sure that when all else fails, the potential victims of carbon monoxide, can get out in time.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.