It is three days since my last rant about hotels and carbon monoxide detectors, and once again 17 more people are hospitalized with dangerous carbon monoxide levels at a hotel. A hotel which is part of a national chain, a chain that does not require carbon monoxide detectors in each room. Comfort Suites. But this time it wasn’t comfort, it was nausea, headache and breathing problems that warned guests to call for help. Thank god they did. Click here for the excellent TV new story on this event in Jeffersontown, KY.
How can the hotel industry continue to ignore this risk? Do they breath a collective sigh of relief when no one, or as in the case of the Allentown, PA tragedy, only one person dies? CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS SHOULD BE MANDATORY IN ALL GUEST ROOMS. In Allentown, fire officials said a “tarp on the south side of the building likely forced the carbon monoxide from the hotel’s hot water heaters and recirculating the poisonous gas into the first-floor rooms and basement of the hotel.” See news story at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22733907/
The hotel industry is a ripe place for CO poisoning, especially since when something goes wrong, so many are at risk. 17 people in Jeffersontown,KY, ten people in Allentown, PA, including one fatality. Click here for information on hotel exposures.
Even the hotel industries trade association acknowledges the risks, but nothing is done. The argument is that it would cost $100 million dollars to put detectors in each room in the United States. The lawsuits could add up to more, not to mention the cost in human lives. Click here for information on what states have regulations with respect to CO detectors in hotels.
Again, we remind everyone that a discharge with a clean bill of health does not guard against future problems, because of the delayed neurological symptoms that can occur. Click here for more information on DNS.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!