Carbon Monoxide Leak at a Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa

A carbon monoxide leak at the Ottumwa Indian Hills Community College campus in Ottumwa, Iowa led about 20 to 25 people to be sent to the hospital. This morning (Nov. 8th), people began complaining of feeling sick in the Bennett Student Services Building. The symptoms were reflective of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. They […]

Hobart, IN Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Reminds Us To Check Our CO Alarms

An apartment building in Hobart, IN filled with carbon monoxide, the colorless, tasteless, odorless toxic gas, last month. Inside the building, there were two adults and one especially vulnerable three-month-old baby. They called the Hobart Fire Department when they were seeing high levels of carbon monoxide on their detector. The fire department was able to […]

New Portable Generators Must Cut CO Emissions

In February 2016, a family of six died as a result of a portable generator, causing lethal levels of carbon monoxide almost immediately, according to MLive. In the wake of Hurricane Matthew, people were using portable generators and subsequently experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, one case even killing a young child. These are just a few […]

Hyperbaric Oxygen in the Manitowoc, WI Carbon Monoxide Incident

We have been blogging about the Manitowoc, WI carbon monoxide incident that was so severe it left three people unconscious and caused levels of more than 100 ppm at the entrance. The carbon monoxide poisoning affected both the cafe on the lower level and the apartments on the upper level. Red Cross was called in […]

Call for Follow-Up in Manitowoc, WI Carbon Monoxide Case

A Manitowoc, WI carbon monoxide case sent 17 people to the hospital, four of which were treated with hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Each year, more than 400 people die from unintentional, non-fire related carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statistics. More than 20,000 visit the emergency room for the same reason, and […]

Manitowoc, WI Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends 17 To Hospital

The Manitowoc, WI carbon monoxide leak sent 17 people to the hospital on Monday, according to the Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter. Ten of the people were on the upper level in apartments above a business. The other seven were in Susie Kay’s Cafe on the first floor of the building block. Four of the victims […]

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Waukegan Two Flat

A carbon monoxide poisoning in Waukegan occurred on Saturday due to a faulty furnace, according to the Lake County News Sun. As the winter months approach, it is important to get your furnace checked to make sure it’s working properly. The incident affected two adults and one child, all who were saved from the building. A […]

Springfield, Mass. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Incident

Two floors were evacuated Tuesday afternoon after high levels of carbon monoxide were released into the air in a Springfield, Massachusetts hotel, according to Mass Live. The guests have returned to their rooms now, but at the time, a faulty boiler was releasing dangerously high levels of the toxic gas. Approximately 50 guests had to […]

Florida Carbon Monoxide Law

The Florida carbon monoxide law requires that operational carbon monoxide detectors be installed in buildings constructed on or after July 1, 2008. The law also requires that buildings who have additions built on or after July 1, 2008 have carbon monoxide alarms installed. The buildings that are required to have CO alarms must have a […]

Colorado Carbon Monoxide Law

In the wake of the carbon monoxide incident in Colorado Springs, the next blog will reflect Colorado carbon monoxide law. The law came after a group of accidental deaths in late 2008 and early 2009. The governor of Colorado at the time, Bill Ritter, signed what is known as the Lofgren and Johnson Families Carbon […]